- RSS Channel Showcase 6242145
- RSS Channel Showcase 4608761
- RSS Channel Showcase 1820366
- RSS Channel Showcase 5736425
Articles on this Page
- 12/21/16--04:23: _Systemic Change Req...
- 01/18/17--04:30: _Habits and Systemic...
- 05/10/17--04:30: _Advocacy and System...
- 05/31/17--04:30: _Systemic Change Sem...
- 06/14/17--04:30: _Bullfights and Syst...
- 06/28/17--04:30: _Intersections
- 08/02/17--04:30: _Limping along – ret...
- 08/07/17--04:30: _We Remind You: the ...
- 08/23/17--04:30: _Seeing Better and S...
- 09/06/17--04:30: _Participate: Knowle...
- 10/28/17--14:00: _A one person collab...
- 03/12/18--04:30: _Vincentian Spiritua...
- 03/21/18--04:00: _Matthew 25: A Vince...
- 06/26/18--04:30: _“Mediterránea”: Sys...
- 07/18/18--04:30: _Why Did Pope Franci...
- 10/24/18--04:30: _Life Lessons From t...
- 12/05/18--04:30: _A Baby Changes Ever...
- 12/21/16--04:23: Systemic Change Requires Critical Thinking
- 01/18/17--04:30: Habits and Systemic Change: A Reflection
- 05/10/17--04:30: Advocacy and Systemic Change
- 05/31/17--04:30: Systemic Change Seminar: Lucena City, Philippines
- 06/14/17--04:30: Bullfights and Systemic Change
- 06/28/17--04:30: Intersections
- 08/02/17--04:30: Limping along – rethinking “running to put out a fire”
- 08/07/17--04:30: We Remind You: the Systemic Change Manual is Available
- 08/23/17--04:30: Seeing Better and Systemic Change
- 09/06/17--04:30: Participate: Knowledge from the Margins for Systemic Change
- 10/28/17--14:00: A one person collaborative effort?
- 03/12/18--04:30: Vincentian Spirituality and Systemic Change
- 03/21/18--04:00: Matthew 25: A Vincentian Life Process
- 07/18/18--04:30: Why Did Pope Francis Make 10 Startling Statements?
- 10/24/18--04:30: Life Lessons From the Lottery
- 12/05/18--04:30: A Baby Changes Everything
If we are to take seriously St. John Paul II’s challenge to Vincentians about finding long-term solutions we need to develop critical thinking skills.
A Latin proverb warns us “The power of habit is great.” We also know this from our spiritual formation. Wise spiritual directors counsel us to pray daily, to make it a habit, and our life will always have a solid foundation. Of course St. Vincent goes even further when he says a person of prayer […]
“Speaking truth to power….Making our voices heard—” Advocacy: the process of supporting a cause or proposal, pleading or arguing in favor of an idea or policy. Advocacy is active, not passive, and can take many forms. But for Vincentians it means taking the side of the poor and oppressed. Advocacy is a word […]
Recently, Ana Maria Escano, our SC coordinator for the Philippines, gave a 2-day seminar at Sacred Heart College in Lucena City, a Daughters of Charity Institution located 4 miles from Manila. The 58 participants of this seminar were the staff of the different Social Welfare Division offices coming from 39 municipalities and 2 cities which form […]
It caught my eye immediately. A statue on his desk—a bullfight scene. But not what you would expect. This one was strikingly different—here the bull was sitting on the matador holding him down! Talk about the unexpected. A paradigm shift? No, a complete reversal! We need more of this. Not bullfights, but visualizing reversals of what we’ve come to expect. […]
“Those on top, like politicians and church leaders, talk a lot about peace, but not about justice, because speaking of peace sounds good to others on top and to the naïve on the bottom, but to speak of justice sounds bad to those on top because it opens the eyes of those on the bottom.” […]
Today, as we hear the cry of your abandoned children, may we run to their assistance" as someone who runs to put out a fire”. May we not limp along favoring one leg.
The Manual for Systemic Change, published in 2016, is available for download. Continue reading for more information. In addition, we remind you that other materials on Systemic Change are available at this link, in nine different languages. The International Commission of the Vincentian Family to Promote Systemic Change presents this Manual for your reflection and […]
In his wonderful new book Vincentian Meditations, Tom McKenna has a chapter on “seeing better.” He asks “what does standing under Vincent’s influence do to an individual?” And one response is that one can see better. That can mean many things but it might would include “seeing” the wisdom of Vincent’s spiritual teaching, the growing […]
For those working to implement processes of systemic change, one of the keys is to understand how marginalized people actually experience change in their lives. Thankfully, strong research is emerging as we enter into the “post-MDG” world. Our Vincentian Family representatives at the United Nations are part of our contribution to the debate, but thorough […]
Mark McGreevey’s in combatting homelessness are successful because the many people he’s recruited to work with him from all walks of life in seven countries, and soon many more. He’s also successful, because he successfully roped the Daughters of Charity, a few of us priests and brothers and tons of lay Vincentians to join him.
Vincentian Spirituality is a spirituality that emerges from the contact with the poor. The two events of Folleville and Chatillon marked the life of Saint Vincent de Paul. These two episodes lead him from the beginning in the elaboration of his itinerary of faith: an experience of faith centered on following Jesus Christ, Evangelizer of […]
It is interesting to consider Matthew’s chapter 25 as a whole, all three parables together in sequence, one building on the other.
“Mediterránea” The General Curia, Rome A Systemic Change Project of the Vincentian Family We still hold the Vincentian Jubilee in our hearts and minds; the great Symposium for the 400th anniversary of the birth of the charism inherited from our founder, St. Vincent de Paul. We have lived this event not as a celebration in and […]
Pope Francis has a knack for making startling statements that catch people's attention.
What would you spend a billion on? Go ahead… let yourself dream a bit.
Having a baby is a life-changer. It bears repeating. A baby changes everything. One baby changed everything – for everyone – literally!